Come and experience our beautiful forests, shimmering lakes and that memorable rotten egg smelling geothermal wonder.
Here is our top 5 places to visit that wont cost you a cent but will bank memories for a lifetime.
- The Whakarewarewa Forest or Redwoods walking trails all start at the Redwoods i-SITE, where you can pick up a map before heading to explore the many forest walks. A family favourite is the Mokopuna Trail, great for walking and biking. Or adventure a little further to the magical Puarenga Stream. A hidden gem in the forest, the Puarenga Stream track weaves under ponga trees alongside and over the stream on several short bridge crossings.
2. Lake Tikitapu (Blue Lake). An easy walking track for a 5km loop adventure, swimming, boating or water sports, with picnic areas, toilets and a kids playground. Lap up its beauty.
3. Centennial Park. Known by Rotorua locals as the Tree Trust, where you can walk amongst 20 hectares of trees and rolling hills where the sheep are the local ground keepers. Particularly beautiful in Spring and Autumn when you will be delighted with blossoms, native Tui or the endless crunchy shades of Autumn leaves.
4. Rotorua Lakefront. Bring your bike, scooter, skateboard and camera! This area has been significantly re-developed with an epic playground with bike loops, a half basketball court, toilets and plenty of spots to picnic and relax. The boardwalk will take you along the shoreline of Lake Rotorua.
5. Geothermal action at Kuirau Park, New Zealand’s only free geothermal public park! Bubbling mud pools and steaming craters set in a manicured park.
See you out there!